By: Malin Bergstrom, Tara Buchalter, Julia Rhault and David Webber [Spring 2012 Interns]
MDB Communications has had an internship program since the 1980s and the agency is proud to say that previous interns have moved on to positions such as account managers, management supervisors and marketing communications strategists at companies all over the world.
This is all very inspiring and we bet you are wondering how their time at MDB helped them climb the career ladder. Here are the top 10 secrets the Spring 2012 interns unlocked as the key to making the most out of an internship at MDB.
1. First of all, prepare for your MDB internship by brushing up on your research skills, practice your proofreading eye and make sure you are familiar with your camera equipment. The need for information in the fast-moving advertising industry is huge, and you as an intern will play an important role in collecting valuable data.
2. Minor trips here and there could be part of your work day. Therefore, make sure you have your SmarTrip card ready and familiarize yourself with the city.
3. Always, always think in terms of “What can we post on social media?” or “How can I contribute to the next project?”
4. To be a successful MDB intern, remember to use your ability to think strategically, but don’t forget to also feed your creativity. Your tasks will range anywhere from a business presentation to brainstorming article ideas for the company newsletter Traction.
5. Have a great idea? Voice it! The team at MDB is always open to new ideas. Be proactive! If you have a certain skill or passion, show it!
6. You are always welcome to sit in on meetings, and when you do, make sure you bring a pen and a notepad. You never know what will spark ideas in our creative team’s heads and you want to make sure you write it all down as you might have a role in the project later on.
7. Get to know your colleagues, because they are all very friendly. After all, MDB is all about teamwork. It’s helpful to know the people on your team. Plus, it’s always good to know who gets cranky without their morning cup of coffee.
8. This is crucial; be quick when food is out in the kitchen. It tends to disappear faster than fast!
9. Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there. Your small talk skills may come in handy. You never know when you’ll have to conduct “man on the street” interviews out on the National Mall.
10. And last, but definitely not least, don’t be afraid of the big red Noid in the corner of the office! In fact, make an effort to establish a good relationship with all the nostalgic advertising icons, as you will be working very closely with them. If you’re lucky, they might share even more information on how to succeed as an MDB intern. After all, there are over 120 of them and they have all been around for a while.
If you were an MDB intern we want to hear from you! Share your story with us on our Facebook or Google+ page. And if you would like to become one, we are now accepting applications for the 2012 Fall semester. Click here for details.